If you’re at a loss about what to do in the city with all the recent closures, here are some affordable area memberships to consider purchasing. Not only are you patronizing places that may lose a lot of money and foot traffic the next few months, you will have lots of things to do come summer!
- FONZ (Friends of the National Zoo) – The National Zoo is a great option for families. A standard membership is $64 and includes a discount on food and inside zoo stores, a punch card for eight carousel or train/seasonal attractions, stroller rental discounts and free or discounted admission to over 100 other zoos and aquariums around the US. If you visit the zoo frequently, the membership pays for itself.
- The Kid Museum – Bethesda’s Kid Museum offers a family membership for $160. The membership includes free admission, early registration for camps, after school programs and weekend workshops, discounts (including discounts with nearby restaurants) and guest passes for family and friends.
- The National Building Museum – Families flock to the National Building Museum when they have exhibits like their “beach” ball pit and lawn games. Their family general membership is $90 and includes access to members-only birthday parties, free admission to exhibits and reduced admission fees to select exhibits/events, invites to exhibit previews and curator-led tours, discounts at the museum shop and participation in the Museum Travel Alliance, a consortium of museums that collaborate to offer their members curated trips around the world.
- Smithsonian Scholar Membership – The Smithsonians are free, but they do rely on supporters to fund themselves. Their Scholar Membership is $75 and has lots of great options, especially during this time of social distancing. Scholar members get a subscription to Smithsonian Magazine, a Smithsonian calendar and discounts at museum stores, the catalog and smithsonianstore.com.
- Politics & Prose – If you are a family of readers, taking advantage of this membership is a great option. For every 20 items you purchase, you get 10 percent back in store credit and 20 percent off storewide during member sales. Members also get early notice of upcoming ticketed events, monthly calendars and a holiday newsletter and discounts on classes too.