Washington’s National Harbor has many opportunities for individuals and families to come out and have fun this summer. Five attractions that are particularly good for families are:
1. Take a water taxi: The Potomac Riverboat Company offers water taxi rides between Alexandria and the National Harbor. The rides are around 20 minutes and a great way to get out and enjoy some fresh air with your family (or avoid driving from VA to the National Harbor!).
2. Dine outdoors: Many of the restaurants in the National Harbor are open for patio dining. Grab a couple scoops at the Ben & Jerry’s or a full meal at Elevation Burger or Mason’s Famous Lobster Rolls and enjoy the scenic views.
3. Chesapeake Crab, Wine and Beer Festival: The August festival featuring mouthwatering crabs fresh from the Chesapeake, beer and wine for mom and dad and lots of corn on the cob for the kids is back at the National Harbor August 15th. Tickets are sold in two different sessions, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and 5-9 p.m. $29-$125.
4. Art at National Harbor: Text ACNH to 56512 and an art scavenger hunt and interactive guide will help the art come alive as you check out the Art Collection at the National Harbor. Kids will especially love “The Belvedere,” a 1,600 square-foot terrazzo mural that shows off the history of the DMV area. They’ll love finding images of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Artist Steven Weitzman has also had work at the UN and National Zoo.
5. Capital Bikeshare: Grab a bike from stations on the corner of Waterfront Street and Fleet Street. Pedal through the Waterfront District and take in the sights and sounds with the whole family. 24-hour pass is $8, bike trips under 30 min. are just $1 and annual memberships for unlimited under 30 min. bike rides are $85.
-Kate Oczypok updated this article on June 17, 2020