Now more than ever is a great time to support local black owned businesses. Here are a few deals from restaurants in the DC area.
- Tsehay Ethiopian Restaurant – DC has a rich Ethiopian history. This Petworth spot sells entrees for under $20, including a $16.99 lamb or beef tibs sautéed with tomato, onions, fresh rosemary, jalapeños and seasoned butter. More information on Tsehay can be found here.
- Peaches Kitchen – The Takoma restaurant has an incredible jerk chicken dinner for just $13.49. The sides options are endless too, with anything from mac and cheese to read beans and rice. More information on Peaches Kitchen can be found here.
- Pleasant Pops – The only black owned popsicle shop in the US, Pleasant Pops serves up tasty popsicles made with fresh, local ingredients. Most of their icy treats are vegan and gluten free too! More information on Pleasant Pops can be found here.
- Cane – The H Street eatery has take home Paratha Tiffin Boxes that serve two. The Omnivore includes potato and channa curries and beef and chicken curries for $45 and the Herbivore has potato and channa curries with tomato and eggplant chokas. More information on Cane can be found here.
- The Sweet Lobby – If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll want to hit up this winner of the Food Network’s Cupcake Wars. A Classic Cupcake Dozen is $35. Cupcakes are topped with the finest European style buttercream with no shortening. Don’t miss their classic macaron box for $12.50 either. More information on The Sweet Lobby can be found here.
- Southwest Soda Pop Shop – While this shop is only two years old, owner Darryl, who runs the soft serve place with his four girls, had previously owned a fish-cleaning business down at the Wharf for over two decades. Their customized cake explosions are delicious with a layer of cookies, your ice cream choice, pound cake, more ice cream and three toppings of your choosing. More information on Southwest Soda Pop Shop can be found here.
- Ben’s Chili Bowl – DC wouldn’t be the city it is today without this longtime staple. Two of its locations, the original on U St. and a second location on H St. NE offer curbside pickup, carry-out and delivery. The Original Half-Smoke is just $6.99 and chili cheese fries are also just $6.99. Pair them with a creamy shake for just $5.99 more, making for an amazing meal. More information on Ben’s Chili Bowl can be found here.