Here’s a list of affordable things to do this weekend and delicious cheap eats. Happy exploring and stay safe!
- Visit Victura Park at the REACH – An outdoor pop-up wine garden and café at the Kennedy Center, the REACH offers eats and drinks from $4 to $29. Their menu is refreshing, with wine, beer and hard seltzers and charcuterie boards and a baguette with fresh olive oil. Fridays 3-10 p.m., Saturdays 12 noon-10 p.m. and Sundays 12 p.m.-8 p.m. Guests must practice social distancing and mask wearing.
- Check out Park Up DC – From now through October, the RFK Campus Lot 5 will be hosting either a drive-in movie or live event at “Park Up DC.” Movies will be shown on a 45-foot HD Digital LED screen. Food will be cashless and grab-and-go style and each ticket gets you a 15′ by 20′ space. July movies include Sonic the Hedgehog, Jurassic Park, Dave Chappelle’s Block Party and Friday. $29-$45.
- Congressional Cemetery is hosting a movie night – Much like the Hollywood Forever Cemetery’s outdoor movie series, the Congressional Cemetery is hosting a pop-up dinner and movie this Saturday, July 17th from 6:30-10:30 p.m. Dinner choices include your typical cookout fare like burgers and chicken sandwiches. The movie is 10 Things I Hate About You, the popular ’90s teen romantic comedy. No dogs allowed and social distancing will be enforced. $30-$50.
- Take the kids (virtually) to the Hirshhorn – The Hirshhorn Kids at Home series offers lots of activities and things to do for free. There are mini art lessons on texture, the colors red, yellow and blue, making a felt set, making a collage of scraps and more. Free.
- Enjoy a family road trip—Smithsonian style – The Smithsonian launched a 40-page activity guide teeming with possibilities for families. Decode a secret message from our nation’s Founding Fathers using license plates, make your own airplane, design a vehicle from the future and more. Free.
- Celebrate National Ice Cream Day – The Yards and Ice Cream Jubilee are surprising select guests with ice cream party boxes. From 12 noon until 10 p.m. on Sunday July 19th (aka National Ice Cream Day), a winner will be chosen every hour to receive an ice cream party in a box, which includes four pints of ice cream, toppings, a scooper, cups and a toppings shaker. Must visit Ice Cream Jubilee at 301 Water St. SE #105, Washington, DC 20003